Listen up. I need your help.
Recently, patrons have been getting phone calls from the Minnesota Orchestral Association. During the course of these calls, patrons have been told misleading and/or outright false things, such as
- Musicians in the Cleveland Orchestra are currently playing with no contract
- Orchestras in Syracuse and Honolulu have gone under, and Minneapolis as a metro area is equivalent to Syracuse and Honolulu
- Musicians in Chicago took massive pay cuts
- Money that is raised via the MOA will go to support musicians
- Former Orchestra violinist Peter McGuire would have taken his job in Switzerland even if the lockout hadn’t occurred
- The endowment has been drawn down by 80% to pay musicians’ salaries
- The Dayton family gave money to support the Building for the Future fund; therefore, you should too
- The renovation of Orchestra Hall is complete
- Something dire will happen to the Orchestra within six months if more money is not raised right now
Understandably, many of the people who received these calls were shocked at the gumption of the people on the other line, and were not able to think clearly to respond. I’ve heard quite a few people apologize and say they just got so upset that they couldn’t remember clearly or exactly what was said. So I want you to be prepared…and if you can, to remember every little detail. This is important!